When working with any kind of system, be it your computer, phone, or tablet, there will come a situation where you would want to capture the screen, and to make any use of them, they need to be very high quality. In Windows 10, there are several ways to take high-res screenshots, and we will look at each of them.
For the first method, you can use editing software to improve the quality of the screenshots that you take through regular methods like PrintScreen and the Snipping Tool. There are many photo editing software options, such as GIMP and Adobe Photoshop.
GIMP is a free tool available for download online and can be used to improve your screenshot quality. You can do this by taking the following steps:
- Once you have launched the program, you can go to the File menu and Open the screenshot you have already taken to improve its quality.
- Choose the image menu and scale it according to your preferred resolution, etc.
- Once this is done, you can optimize the image and sharpen it to get rid of any pixelated parts and make it appear high resolution.
If you are using Adobe Photoshop, you can take the following steps to make changes to the image size and resolution:
- When you launch Adobe Photoshop on your computer, you can go to File Menu and Open the screenshot you have already taken within the editor.
- To improve the quality of the screenshot, open the Image menu and click on Image Size. An Image Size dialog box will appear as seen in the picture below where you can set the resolution.
Changing Your Settings
Under the second method, you can change the settings of your device before you take a screenshot. Go to your computer’s settings and find the Display tab. On this page, you will see the option to change the scale and layout of your screen.
Click on advanced scaling settings, and you will see a slider that says ‘let Windows try to fix apps, so they are not blurry.’ Slide this from off to on.
This will change your screen to make apps on the main display look much clearer and sharper. You can also choose to change the scaling to any percentage you want from 100% to 500%. This will change your displays to the scaling size you choose. Once you are done, you can click the Apply button to make the changes take effect.
Once you’ve changed these settings, you can open your window where you want to capture the screen and use the PrintScreen and snipping tool to get a screenshot. You can also choose to edit it on a photo editor to make it look better.
The downside to this method is that it can cause some texts and apps that are not built specifically for Windows 10 to appear wonky and unreadable since the display may not support the size. It can also be difficult to return to your original settings because of the scaling.
Using these two methods, you can get high-resolution screen captures on Windows 10 that you can then upload to your documents, etc. When taking screenshots to upload to Microsoft Office apps, you can also choose to simply use the file on your clipboard after using PrintScreen to paste it to your document, and then crop it using the in-built editing tool. This will also make your screenshots high resolution on the document itself and does not require you to save your file separately and upload it as an image.